Tuesday 19 September 2017

Emptiness- Original Poetry

Here we are again. Another depressing poem. I wrote this a couple of months ago and, honestly, it's one of my favourites. When I go through it, I read it out loud in a whisper... it gives off an ASMR feel and the soft whispers calm me despite the helplessness of the actual message.
I hope you enjoy!

Emptiness

my brain is tangled,
thoughts scattered
springing in different directions
yearning for affection,
clinging to discretion.

my feelings are hiding,
withdrawing into a bottle. 
they scuttle away from judgement,
to wonder and pray-
thought for what, it's hard to say. 

my childhood is running away from me,
nostalgia caught in clenched teeth
the loneliness I've always felt,
peeling away to possibility,
disintegrating beneath piled up dreams.

and yet I'll miss the emptiness;
the familiar numbness of it's coat
as it wrapped itself around me
the misery that grounded me
all I've known, bound to me. 

because the future, unknown, 
is a change churning in my stomach
an acid burning me from the inside out
my excitement clouded by doubt,
a melody lost to a shout. 

So, with every unrealistic hope,
I'll step forward on heavy feet 
and a practically metal heart
to ensure that it will sustain me from the very start
and refrain me from falling completely apart.  

- Chloe Harris, June 2017

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe 

3 comments:

  1. Remind me not to read this to myself in the middle of class again....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this, even though I've tried incredibly hard to embrace those unrealistic hopes and pick up my heavy feet toward them instead of scuttling back to that familiar emptiness. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!
      I do try and be positive but all of my depression happens to leak into my poetry. Trust me, there are plenty more where that came from.
      xx

      Delete